Danger: The Health Risks Of Hydroquinone
Hydroquinone is a type of phenol and it is an aromatic compound. It is a popular ingredient used for skin bleaching purposes. It is used to resolve problems of hyper pigmentation on the body. People who are using products having this active component suffered some of its side effects.
Shown below are some of the possible effects of Hydroquinone:
1. Increase of the skin’s sensitivity to the sun. This is the common result of using creams with hydroquinone. Therefore, people ” totally exposed ” to this agent are advised to limit their activities under the sun.
2. Skin sensitivity increases also. It is not a good idea therefore to use harsh soaps and ointments on areas where hydroquinone is used.
3. Mild burning or redness of the skin. Considering that it is a common ingredient of skin care products, the primary part of the body that will be disturbed is the skin. The skin is in direct contact with it so it suffers from the first blast of side effect.
4.Different allergies can be developed as well. Some of these are the following: inhaling and exhaling issues, swelling of the face or some of its parts like the lips, mouth, or tongue, and the appearance of rashes on the skin.
5. Other skin complications are developed also. Examples of such are blistering, redness, too much dryness of the skin, stinging sensation and the blue-black darkening of the skin.
6. Severe results include thyroid disorder, liver destruction and leukemia.
7.Research show that it is a cancer-causing substance; immunotoxicant and developmental and reproductive toxicant, and also recognizes concerns regarding the ingredient’s risks for various organ systems, the endocrine system and neurotoxicity.
8. It is related to a disease known as the ochronosis. This is the darkening and thickening of the skin. The usual victims are the colored men and women in the US, Britain, and South Africa. A sign of this disease is the appearance of dome-shaped yellowish or golden-tinged spots on the skin.
9. It is related with the abnormal functioning of the adrenalin glands.
Seeing these health threats, countries such as Japan, Australia, and European Unions forbidden this chemical in the industry. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released a new rule that any skin lightening products that contain this agent are treated as a new product. This will give a drawback on companies still using this hydroquinone due to the fact they need again to seek permits and acceptance from the FDA before legitimately operating.
Also, because of its several outcomes to human health, hydroquinone is regarded to be one of the toxic ingredients used in the cosmetic products. It can contaminant other components of the cosmetic products.
Skin whitening creams are not the only products that is made up of hydroquinone. it can be found on numerous items also including the facial moisturizers, hair conditioners, and skin soaps. In addition, it is also used in other products such as sun screen, concealer, moisturizer and anti-aging products.
In relation to this, there are other toxic components that may be added in skin lightening products. Common two are the mercury and the steroid. Mercury is a positively dangerous element and is banned not only in the area of cosmetics but also on some areas such as in medical equipments. Thermometers and sphygmomanometer with mercury are banned already. Steroids on the other hand, can cause difficulties such as hormonal imbalance.
With the issues presented, it is highly recommended then for users of skin lightening products to check the labels of their brands. Ensure no toxic ingredient is included in the product. Let us all ensure one’s health.